Big Lunch 2015 date: Sunday 7th June
By Communications Officer Bronagh Diamond
The Big Lunch is a very simple idea from the Eden Project, made possible by Big Lottery Fund. The aim is to get as many people as possible from all across the UK to go out and have lunch with their neighbours, to celebrate community, friendship and fun. This will be the biggest year yet for Northern Ireland, with Big Lunches being held in communities from Belfast to Fermanagh and beyond.
The Big Lunch happens annually on the first Sunday in June. Since starting in 2009, thousands of Big Lunches have taken place in all types of communities. In 2014, 4.83 million people took to their streets, gardens and community spaces for the sixth annual Big Lunch.
Grainne McCloskey, NI manager for The Big Lunch, said: “This is a great idea that brings local people together and strengthens community ties.
“Big Lunches can be anything from small street gatherings where neighbours share sandwiches and a cup of tea, to much larger events with hundreds of people.”
“There will be Big Lunches across Northern Ireland, this is set to be our biggest year yet. It is a great boost to community spirit – and people have a great time doing it.”
This year, the main Big Lunch day is Sunday 7th June. If you would like to grab a picnic and get involved, there are several public events happening around the Belfast area this weekend:
Saturday 6th June
• Millisle, The Green, Ballywalter Road: 2pm – 5pm
Sunday 7th June
• Belfast Castle, Antrim Road, Belfast: 11am – 3pm
• Belfast City Hall, City Centre: 12.30pm
• Farset Big Lunch, Ballysillan park: 1 – 3pm
• Castlerock Community Association, Peter Thompson Hall & playing fields: 1 – 3pm
• Common Grounds, City Church organised in partnership with the Belfast Friendship Club.University ave, 12-24 University Avenue, Belfast, County Antrim BT7 1GY: 12.30pm
• Crosskennan Lane Animal Sanctuary, 26 Crosskennan Lane, Ballynoe Antrim, BT41 2QY: 1 – 4pm
• Castle Upton, Templepatrick: 1 – 4 pm
• Whitehead Cross Community, Methodist church, Whitehead : 1pm
• Groomsport Village Association in the village centre: 1.30 – 4.00pm
• The Governor Rocks restaurant Donaghadee BT21 OHE, Big Lunch charity fundraiser 02891884817 email@example.com
There are lots more neighbourhood Big Lunches happening on the day. Ask around to see if one is planned near where you live or add one to this map: